The following answers many of the frequently asked questions about our cask offer. If you have any other questions then please contact us or type a message in your registration.
What do you get?
- 1 x 20L SA Cooperage whisky cask, port and sherry wood mix.
- The contents of the cask, after Angel’s Share, when aged for two years, bottled at cask strength for delivery (note: the quantity will vary from cask to cask but you can expect approx. 29 x 700ml bottled @ 46% or equivalent).
- 22 x 700ml bottles and 22 x 200ml bottles with closures and personalised labels.
- All excise and GST paid.
- A guarantee of quality, subject to the terms and conditions of 20 L cask Agreement.
- Insurance and storage costs paid, whilst in the Distillery’s control.
- The option to refill your cask.
- The option to put the whisky, or some of it, back into your cask for further maturation in your home or office.
- The ability to rebottle the whisky at different strengths as you see fit.
- A Certificate of Cask Ownership, 20L Cask Agreement and your nominated name on your cask.
- The opportunity, by appointment, to visit your cask.
- The benefit of the Distillery staffs’ knowledge and experience.
What don't you get?
- Freight cost.
- A tap for your cask (they tend to get broken off and develop leaks).
- Use of the ‘Iniquity’ brand name.
What do we get?
- $3,300 per cask, on commencement of the 20L Cask Agreement.
- Liability for payment of GST and excise on your cask and contents.
- 1 x 30ml control sample.
Can I refill the cask?
Yes, we can repeat the offer.
What is the Angel’s Share?
Spirit loss due to evaporation and weeping through the timber of the cask. The rate varies from cask to cask and place to place. Expect between 10-15% p.a. loss.
Will my whisky improve if left longer than two years in the cask?
Maybe, maybe not! We only guarantee that it will be good to drink at two years. Experience tells us that the optimum age for malt spirit in 20 litre oak casks is around 2-3 years, but every cask is different. That’s part of the fun and challenge of making whisky!
Can I request my cask be left to mature longer than two years?
Yes, you can enter another agreement for storage at Tin Shed Distilling Co, but you might prefer to refill the cask at home from your bottles so you can keep a close eye on the whisky and experience it at different ages.
Can I have the spirit shipped to me in the cask?
No, our licence requires us to deliver the whisky in bottles. Also casks are notorious for developing leaks in transit, so it would not be a good idea to use the cask as the shipping container.
Can I take delivery of my cask sooner than two years of age?
No, the two years is a statutory period required before the spirit can be called whisky and gives us the opportunity to manage the maturation of your cask and guarantee the quality.
Can I visit my cask while it is maturing?
Yes, just call us first to arrange a time so we can get it out for you; it could be buried under other casks.
Does the cask come with a tap?
No, taps tend to be more trouble than they are worth. They can leak or get snapped off, which would be an expensive accident.
Can I pay in instalments?
No, payment in full is required with your order.
Can I have joint ownership with my family and friends?
You can share your cask with as many friends as you like, but the name on the cask is restricted to a maximum of 15-20 characters.
Can I have all 700ml or all 200ml bottles?
Yes, provided we have the stock we will accommodate your choice.